Sunday, March 30, 2014

Do The Hustle!

...The Mommy Hustle, that is.

I find that my decision to start a blog was probably a bit ambitious but, whatevs.

Becoming a mom, single, and a full-time nursing student with a full-time job all in the same month was hard. I bet this is how the Dinosaurs felt when that comet wiped 'em out. I mean, I'm sure that I wasn't the first woman to embark on this journey and nor will I be the last but please, don't take away my feeling like Super Woman because I am fucking amazing!

After I'd turned into a beast in the delivery room and sneezed out my beautiful baby girl, I went back to school three days later. YIKES! There I was, holding my spawn while she ravaged my nipples and writing my paper with the other hand trying my hardest to finish that quarter with a decent grade, when it dawned on me, I hadn't showered in days!

Thus begins the hustle.

Good Lord! Waking up at 5am to nurse my then 2 1/2 month old was a struggle of it's own but adding that to a 12-hr shift after sleeping in 3 hour intervals is clearly one step into a grave somewhere.

Morbid much?

Truthfully, the hustle begins the night before work when our clothes are laid out, our lunches are packed and alarm set, determined to wake up on time - which NEVER happens. That first morning began with a random 4am feed and me getting pooped on within the next hour, thankfully it wasn't on my scrubs. By 5:30, all poop was cleaned and both boobs emptied. And with the little luck I had left, I got the baby to daycare and my butt to work on time, breast-pump, purse, baby's "lunch bag", mommy's lunch, and baby still buckled in her seat, running through the parking lot. What a sight for sore eyes, I'm surprised I remembered my pants.

My first day of work proved to be impossible to survive without dozing off in some back room of the hospital and me not crying every five minutes about separation anxiety. Hey random person, care to see a picture of the only baby girl that has ever existed? When'd I become one of those self righteous Moms that think their kid is the best in the world? She is the prettiest baby I've ever seen but that's beside the point. The point is, the hustle.

Ever went on break to pump and found yourself dozing off to the "swish" of that expensive ass Medela. Totally woke up with two full bottles like "what the *beep* just happened?" Really , I never thought I'd ever be able to handle this until I had no choice. Baby, work, school, baby, school, baby, work, BABOORK, the shit runs together after a while.

This Mommy hustle ain't no joke and neither is This Baby Shit...
See what I did there?

2 comments:

  1. DEAR SINGLE MOM, YOU HUSTLE HAS JUST BEGUN BUT THE BEST PART IS THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU GET TOO LOOK INTO THIS ANGELS EYES AND BREATH AND SAY MY GOD THANK YOU SHE IS WORTH IT.
    SINCERLY MISSY

    ReplyDelete